Pinwheel Sandwiches Recipe
Getting kids to eat anything that is not super processed and sugary can sometimes seem impossible. At The St Clare Group Early Education and Care, our secret to get children eating, or at least trying, natural healthy foods is by either sneaking it into their diet or presenting it in fun and unique ways. Fruit skewers, fruit infused water, veggie sticks, smiley faces, and overall interesting presentation are our go-to strategies.
Thinking of unique ways in which we can present healthy foods, this pinwheel sandwiches recipe comes to mind. You can use your imagination and whatever ingredients you already have in the fridge, and get the little ones to try new things.
What you’ll need:
- 2 slices of bread – why not try rye, multi-grain, or wholemeal options?
- Hummus, cottage cheese, or any healthy and mild dip or spread
- Carrot, cucumber and apple matchsticks (6 inches long)
- Salt, pepper, and herbs to taste
How to do it:
- Flatten the bread with a rolling pin.
- Spread the hummus or cottage cheese evenly over the bread slices.
- Lay two cucumber matchsticks, one carrot stick, and one apple stick at the bottom of each slice. The sticks will hang over the bread edges – you can either leave them like this or trim them to match the bread slices, whatever you prefer.
- Roll up the bread. Press gently to seal it, and then cut each roll into equal pieces.
Other filling ideas include natural nut butter and apple sticks, avocado and crumbed chicken, as well as mayo and tuna. Please be mindful of your child or their play dates’ dietary requirements and allergies when choosing ingredients.
At The St Clare Group Childcares, we ensure our children are provided with tasty and nutritious meals every day, so we encourage parents to continue this work at home, by introducing and maintaining fruits and veggies in our children’s everyday menus, like this recipe for Emoji Frittatas that will be enjoyed by even the fussiest eater!
Our team loves to hear from you, so if you’ve recently tried any of our recipes, take a photo and send it our way!